Delhi Police clears Shaheen Bagh protest site amid coronavirus threat

Shaheen Bagh had become the heart of the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act protests since 15 December last year, days after the law was passed by Parliament.

FATIMA KHAN 24 March, 2020

Delhi Police in the process of clearing the Shaheen Bagh protest area | By special arrangement | ThePrint
Delhi Police in the process of clearing the Shaheen Bagh protest area | By special arrangement | ThePrint

New Delhi: The Delhi Police cleared the Shaheen Bagh protest site early Tuesday, two days after Section 144 was imposed in the national capital due to the widening coronavirus outbreak.

Shaheen Bagh had become the heart of the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protests since women from the area launched their agitation on 15 December last year, days after the contentious law was passed by Parliament.

“The protest site was cleared around 7 am Tuesday. There were five women who were sitting in the protest last night. In the morning, we were told they have been removed,” Khurshid Alam, one of the protest organisers, told ThePrint.

ANI@ANI

#WATCH Delhi Police clears the protest site in Shaheen Bagh area, amid complete lockdown in the national capital, in wake of #Coronavirus

14.6K10:37 PM – Mar 23, 2020Twitter Ads info and privacy3,699 people are talking about this

The Delhi Police reportedly also removed tents that marked the site.

“People at the protest site in Shaheen Bagh were requested today to clear the site as lockdown has been imposed. But after they refused, action was taken against violators as the assembly was unlawful. Protest site has been cleared. Some protestors have been detained,” the southeast deputy commissioner of police told ANI.

ANI@ANI

DCP South East:People at the protest site in Shaheen Bagh were requested today to clear the site as lockdown has been imposed. But after they refused, action was taken against violators as the assembly was unlawful. Protest site has been cleared.Some protestors have been detained https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1242275210625048578 …

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

ANI@ANIDelhi: Security tightened at the protest site in Shaheen Bagh, after a prohibitory order under section 144 Cr PC has been promulgated in Delhi, in the light of the #COVID19 pandemic.2,74010:25 PM – Mar 23, 2020Twitter Ads info and privacy857 people are talking about this


Also read: Shaheen Bagh marks janata curfew by holding ‘symbolic protest’, petrol bomb hurled at it


Protests called off all over

Women had been holding a 24*7 sit-in protest at Shaheen Bagh against the CAA, demanding its withdrawal, and talks with the government.

Over three months, the protest continued through biting cold winter nights, heavy rainfall, and even the communal riots in Northeast Delhi last month. At any given time, at least 150-200 women used to be present at the site, sloganeering against the CAA as well as the National Population Register and the proposed National Register of Citizens.

However, since Sunday, when the country observed a ‘Janata curfew’, only five women had been sitting at the Shaheen Bagh site — marking a symbolic protest.

The latest move has come nearly a week after Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal banned gatherings in the national capital to deal with the coronavirus spread.

In the wake of his order, the anti-CAA protestors in the city had modified their style, by sitting on wide benches — instead of the floor — and not allowing older women and children to enter. However, several of these protests were called off on 22 and 23 March, after the Kejriwal government announced a complete lockdown.

Delhi has seen a total of 28 confirmed coronavirus cases so far.

theprint@southasiajournal.net'
theprint
CONTRIBUTOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

SAJ on Facebook

SAJ Socials

   

Top Authors